The information and pictures on this page are licensed.

Creative Commons License
Douglass Website Pictures are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.sonsanddaughtersofdouglass.org. Please contact us for permission to use or copy the pictures, or to reuse or republish the information in the stories. The license does not cover pictures and information from other sources, which are licensed under their own agreement(s). Thank you!

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Mr. Gill: Always Keep Trying & Mr. Dobbins: Don't Let Others Influence You


Calvin, My heart goes out to all who have contributed to this "Memory" & it has been a excellent source to reflect back on our younger days.


I guess I would have to say Mr. Gill , my French teacher stayed as a spot on my heart more than any other. He was a stern man like my father. Why I would think I could speak French is still a mystery to me, but I did, there was times I was so lost in his class, he would always tell me "TRY, TRY harder" and in my mind I'm thinking I am trying. I was Miss Douglass 1958-59, so coming to Douglass for my first High school days was really a special time in my life. I had major adjustments to endure coming from Rotherwood.


I remember Prof.( Mr.) Dobbins, he knew those of us coming into the school from other areas had a harder time adjusting, he always gave those pep talks about not letting others influence you, and I can really respect that now and it's something I pass on to my grandchildren. Because they will never get the one-on-one education we had at Douglass.. today, school is very different, but also very much needed to survive.


Thank you Calvin for asking me for input..

Leola Gray Johnson